Volunteers are absolutely essential to SPY’s mission. We’re in need of volunteers to participate in shifts at our Access Center on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays. There are two shifts, from 11:00 am to 2:00 pm or from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm. Responsibilities and opportunities include things like:
- Run check-in or the desk. Greet youth as they arrive or help us make sure youth access the showers they need.
- Monitor the Clothing Closet. Each day, youth members can select one outfit from the clothing closet.
- Get involved with Healing Arts or the Digital Arts Lab. Volunteers with a passion for arts, yoga, graphic design or more may find this volunteering opportunity especially rewarding.
- Outreach. Engage with street-based youth out in the community alongside one of our Outreach and Engagement Case Managers, providing access to survival resources and SPY's onsite programs.
- Housing Sites. Support the clothing closet, donation transport, and more across each of our housing sites.
- And more! There are often done-in-a-day projects and special volunteer opportunities if you’re looking for ways to get involved outside of Access Center hours.
To volunteer on-site during Access Center Hours, volunteers must go through SPY’s onboarding process. Please fill out the Google form at the bottom of this page and we’ll reach out with additional onboarding instructions.
Volunteers looking to build a deeper connection with the young people we serve can consider getting involved with one of the following programs:
- Mentorship. Become a mentor to an unhoused young person. This is a 3 to 6 month time commitment where mentors build a relationship with the youth and work on their self-identified goals, such as pursuing a GED, finding housing, applying for jobs, or other goals.
- Education and Employment. Opportunities include becoming a tutor, hosting resume workshops, conducting interview prep and more depending on volunteer skills and expertise.
- Host Home Program. Do you have a spare room? The Host Home program pairs unhoused young people with an open space in a Host’s home. There is a careful matching process and Host’s receive a $500 monthly stipend.
Want to volunteer with a group of friends or as a corporate team-building activity? We’d love to have you! Email us at [email protected] to discuss a group volunteering opportunity. Here are a few of options available for groups:
- Done-In-A-Day Projects. Things like painting at the Access Center, setting up furniture and beautifying housing spaces, and organizing and sorting donations, there are a variety of projects that can be completed in a single day.
- Community Garden. There are lots of opportunities to work in the garden, from planting, to maintenance, to harvesting - there is plenty to do.
- Family Connect Days. Join us with your family for a day of volunteering. Projects vary, but all ages are welcome.
- Organize a donation drive. Frequently needed items include: Hygiene Kits, New Clothing, New undergarments, sleeping bags, blankets, and backpacks. (Please note that we cannot accept RED items due to gang affiliations in Venice.) Contact [email protected] to organize.
For questions, concerns, or more information on volunteering with Safe Place for Youth, email us at [email protected]
Take the next step today. Join us for a tour so you can see all of the incredible work in action. Email [email protected] to sign up.